Summary Dissolution of Marriage in California
Dear Clients and Friends,
Qualifying married couples can agree to a low cost Summary Dissolution of their marriage. To qualify, each party must meet each of the following requirements:
1. Married for a maximum of 5 years – this time period is measured from the date of marriage to the date of separation.
2. No children are born or adopted during the period of the marriage and a new child is not expected at the time of filing for a Summary Dissolution.
3. No real estate is owned or subject to a one year lease with an option to buy.
4. $6,000 or less in community debts (acquired during the marriage).
5. $40,000 or less in community property – exclusive of your cars.
6. $40,000 or less in separate property – exclusive of your cars.
7. Spousal support (alimony) must be permanently waived by each.
8. The parties have a signed agreement that divides the community property (including cars) and debts at the time of filing.
9. California residency requirements will be met if either spouse has lived in California for the last 6 months and in the county where you will file your action for the last 3 months.
For divorce matters that do, or do not, qualify for a Summary Dissolution, we invite you or your friends to call us for a free phone evaluation of your family law situation. If we can be of help we can discuss your options and costs for our advice and representation.